CAA Women's Soccer Report | Sept. 20, 2022
CAA Women's Soccer Report | Sept. 20, 2022
Catch up on the CAA women's soccer weekly news, notes and awards.
SCHEDULE AND RESULTS
Tuesday, Sept. 13
Hampton 1, South Carolina State 0
Towson 7, Delaware State 0
Wednesday, Sept. 14
Monmouth 2, NJIT 0
Thursday, Sept. 15
Stony Brook 1, Manhattan 1
Towson 2, UMBC 0
Campbell 2, UNCW 0
William & Mary 2, Longwood 0
Hofstra 1, Princeton 0
Friday, Sept. 16
Elon 2, UNCG 1
Furman 1, Charleston 0
Sunday, Sept. 18
Monmouth 4, Stonehill 0
Columbia 2, Hofstra 1
William & Mary 1, East Carolina 0
Princeton 1, Delaware 0
Thursday, Sept. 22
Monmouth at Towson * (FloFC), 6 p.m.
William & Mary at Stony Brook * (FloFC), 6 p.m.
Hampton at Hofstra * (FloFC), 7 p.m.
Delaware at UNCW * (FloFC), 7 p.m.
Drexel at Charleston * (FloFC), 7 p.m.
Northeastern at Elon * (FloFC), 7 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 25
Drexel at UNCW * (FloFC), noon
Hampton at Stony Brook * (FloFC), noon
William & Mary at Hofstra * (FloFC), noon
Delaware at Charleston * (FloFC), 1 p.m.
Monmouth at Elon * (FloFC), 1 p.m.
Northeastern at Towson * (FloFC), 1 p.m.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Nia Christopher, Towson
Junior | Forward | Devonshire, Bermuda / John Carroll School (Md.)
Christopher erupted for five goals on five shots in Towson’s 7-0 win over Delaware State on Tuesday.
The five goals were the most in Towson history, two more than any other player nationally this season, and one shy of the CAA record set in 1996.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Emma D’Alesandro, William & Mary
Sophomore | Defender | Clinton, N.J. / North Hunterdon
D’Alesandro anchored a William & Mary backline that posted back-to-back shutouts in a 2-0-0 week for the Tribe.
The sophomore from New Jersey played all 180 minutes in W&M’s 2-0 victory over Longwood and 1-0 win over an East Carolina side receiving votes in last week’s coaches poll.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
Ivey Crain, William & Mary
Freshman | Forward | Milton, Ga. / Pinecrest Academy
Crain tallied a goal and an assist in William & Mary’s 2-0 midweek win over Longwood.
The freshman from Georgia scored the game-winner in the 37th minute and is the first CAA player to earn multiple weekly awards this season.
2022 CAA WOMEN’S SOCCER WEEKLY AWARD WINNERS
Offensive Player of the Week
Aug. 22: Faith Slimmer, Charleston
Aug. 29: Casey Touey, Drexel
Sept. 5: Grace Powell, Charleston
Sept. 12: Madison Henry, UNCW
Sept. 19: Nia Christopher, Towson
Defensive Player of the Week
Aug. 22: Cassie Coster, Monmouth
Aug. 29: Zoe Doughty, William & Mary
Sept. 5: Molly Piso, Drexel; Holland Stam, Northeastern
Sept. 12: Savannah Barron, Charleston
Sept. 19: Emma D’Alesandro, William & Mary
Rookie of the Week
Aug. 22: Ivey Crain, William & Mary
Aug. 29: Summer Reimet, Monmouth
Sept. 5: Ava Nace, Northeastern
Sept. 12: Vivian Akyirem, Northeastern
Sept. 19: Ivey Crain, William & Mary
NEWS AND NOTES
The CAA went 50-35-15 (.575) against Division I competition in non-conference play.
Drexel closed out non-conference play at 5-0-3 and is one of 32 remaining unbeaten teams nationally, while Monmouth (7-1-0) and Towson (7-1-1) have been limited to one defeat.
The Hawks and Tigers are both perfect in the month of September, with Towson on a six-game winning streak and Monmouth victorious in its last four.
The CAA has multiple wins and no losses against the Patriot League (7-0-2), America East (6-0-1), and Sun Belt (4-0-0), along with a 7-3-1 mark against the Big South and 6-2-1 vs. the NEC.
LET’S GET IT STARTED
Conference competition begins with six matches Thursday and six more Sunday, all on FloFC.
The Thursday slate is highlighted by Monmouth’s visit to Towson in a matchup of one-loss teams from non-conference play and undefeated Drexel’s trip to face a Charleston side that joins the Hawks and Tigers with 20+ goals in non-conference action.
Towson’s Nia Christopher scored five times in the Tigers’ win over Delaware State, breaking a program record and tallying two more goals than any other player in the nation in a single game this season.
Christopher’s five goals were the most by a CAA player in the 21st Century and one shy of the conference record set in 1996.
• Charleston has scored multiple goals in all six victories and shut out its opponent in five of six.
• Grace Powell has doubled her career goals total in 2022 with six in her first nine games.
• The Blue Hens’ three draws in their first six games this season were more than their entire amount from 2019-21 (2).
• Izzy Lane assisted on three of Delaware’s four goals in the opening 1-0-1 weekend.
• Drexel’s 5-0-3 start is the best in program history.
• The Dragons are one of 18 remaining unbeaten teams entering the week.
• Elon’s victory over UNCG on Sunday was its second in 26 tries against the Spartans.
• The four-goal effort against UNC Asheville was Elon’s highest since scoring eight on Sept. 15, 2019.
• Hampton enters conference play with multiple victories for the first time in the program’s young history. The Sept. 13 win at South Carolina State marked the Pirates’ earliest date reaching its second win of the year.
• The Pirates picked up their first win of the year with a 10-0 rout of USCAA member Regent. Maya Martir factored into five goals in 21 minutes of play, scoring three times and adding two assists.
• Skylar Kuzmich has recorded four shutouts this season, which ranks 12th nationally.
• Krista Agostinello scored her first career goal in Sunday’s setback against Columbia.
• Monmouth’s .875 winning percentage entering conference play ranks 10th nationally.
• The Hawks’ 22 goals are two ahead of Charleston and Towson for the most in the CAA entering conference action.
• Madison Henry’s hat trick at UNCG was the eighth in program history and first since 2016.
• The Seahawks are in a stretch of seven straight matchups in the state of North Carolina.
• Vivian Akyirem leads CAA freshmen with five goals this season.
• All three of Northeastern’s victories this fall have been by 1-0 margins.
• Stony Brook has committed the seventh-fewest fouls nationally at 5.89 per game.
• The Seawolves have scored 2+ goals four times this year.
• Nia Christopher’s five goals vs. Delaware State were two more than any other player nationally this season and one shy of the CAA record set in 1996.
• Riley Melendez has five shutouts in four games this season and 13 solo for her collegiate career.
WILLIAM & MARY
• All four of W&M’s victories this year have been shutouts.
• Zoe Doughty has recorded four shutouts in nine contests this season, including both matches last weekend.
- Elon, Hofstra Conclude Seasons At NCAA Men's Soccer Championship
Nov 19, 2022
- Elon Hosts Marshall, Hofstra Visits South Florida To Open NCAA Championship
Nov 17, 2022
- Hofstra Repeats As CAA Men's Soccer Champion with 2-1 Win at Elon
Nov 15, 2022
- Highlights: Hofstra Vs. Elon | 2022 CAA Men's Soccer Final
Nov 13, 2022
- Replay: Hofstra vs Georgetown | Nov 12 @ 1 PM
Nov 12, 2022
- Replay: Hofstra vs Elon - Men's Final | Nov 12 @ 12 PM
Nov 12, 2022
- Hofstra Faces Georgetown In First Round Of NCAA Women's Soccer Championship
Nov 12, 2022
- Elon To Host Hofstra In CAA Men's Soccer Championship Final
Nov 11, 2022
- One-Goal Wins Land Elon And Hofstra In CAA Men's Soccer Championship Final
Nov 8, 2022