D.C. United dismantled a pretty decent Real Salt Lake team on Saturday night behind Wayne Rooney's first hat trick since moving stateside. Lots of other stuff happened in the MLS over the weekend, but nothing was better than Lucas "Titi" Rodriguez's volley. I promise you that.
D.C. United Owns Real Salt Lake | Recap & Video Round-Up
1. Right here on FloFC: Lots of recap action from the weekend's game.
Watch the full replay if you want. Watch the condensed replay. Watch interviews with Rooney, Steve Birnbaum, Russell Canouse, and Paul Arriola. Watch Rooney play basketball (Earl Edwards Jr. is actually pretty good.) Watch Luciano Acosta and Junior Moreno play a game in the locker room.
2.. He said it: Head coach Mike Petke of Real Salt Lake had this to say after his team's 5-0 loss to the Black-and-Red.
“I hope these guys go out. I never say this to my players. I don’t encourage it. But I hope they go out and have a drink tonight together as a group, you know? The old drown-your-sorrows-in-a-beer type thing. And then wake up tomorrow, and let’s get back to Salt Lake and let’s get ready for definitely an even tougher situation next weekend.”
Good on him! Via MLS
3. Vote for the MLS Goal of the Week. Look, I'm as happy as anybody about the return of Jordan Morris to the Seattle Sounders, and he scored a nice little goal against the Chicago Fire over the weekend. But was that goal sexier than Titi's golazo volley off a Rooney corner kick? No way! Please go vote for Titi.
Can't. Stop. Watching. 🎯 pic.twitter.com/RuiNRhu4Lb— Major League Soccer (@MLS) March 17, 2019
Concacaf Nations League Approaches
4. The international break is upon us, but don't despair: The Concacaf Nations League is airing right here on FloFC for U.S. viewers. There's a very tasty Jamaica-El Salvador matchup on Saturday, some Alphonso Davies action, and a lot more. Check out our event page for all the games on the slate.
5. More Nations League, specifically the Canadian national team: Jonathan Osorio is pretty psyched about the talent they're developing up north, including but not limited to Davies. Via Toronto Sun.
Canada play on March 26.
6. Speaking of Davies . . . he scored his first goal for Bayern Munich over the weekend:
ALPHONSO DAVIES!!!— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) March 17, 2019
The 18 year-old Canadian scores his first goal for Bayern and becomes the youngest scorer for Bayern since Roque Santa Cruz in 1999 💪🇨🇦 pic.twitter.com/54AC6Jg5Sr
Extras: Italian Analysis, MLS Bits & Pieces
7. One of my favorite dudes, Cheuk Hei Ho took a deep, deep dive into AC Milan's hopeful rise. This one is worth a perusal whether or not you're a Serie A fan. Via FloFC.
8. Here's a cool profile from Jon Arnold — who will be covering the Concacaf Nations League for FloFC — on the consistent, extremely solid Matt Hedges. Via SportsDay.
9. Kendall Waston is the man. He scored FC Cincinnati's first home goal in the MLS — the first of three goals in a stunning shutout of Portland — and then he celebrated with, um, a very amazing celebration that you can see for yourself:
He credits his clearly genius son for the move:
"My son told me 'if you score you have to do this' and so I said OK" 😂— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) March 17, 2019
Kendall Waston talks with @Katie_Witham about his goal celebration after scoring the first-ever home goal for FC Cincinnati 🦁 pic.twitter.com/3y9tuuMjyS
Over and out.