The opening day of Major League Soccer is here — well, basically. After months of non-MLS soccer, the month of MLS action has finally arrived. And the first weekend of the season isn't starting off quietly, either. A number of high-profile clashes jump right off the page: D.C. United vs Atalanta United, of course, but also Columbus vs New York Red Bulls, LAFC vs Sporting KC, and more.
The games start tomorrow at noon CT and won't finish until past 11 PM. Yeah, I'd say that's very good! If you really want to make a day of it, you could start by watching Arsenal battle Tottenham (go Gunners) at 6:30 AM, flip to Schalke-Dusseldorf at 8:30 to watch Weston McKennie, and by that point you'll have plenty of options.
Did we mention there's a derby in Rome between Roma and Lazio? Oh, and that thing called El Clasico.
Here's some reading to tide you over:
All The MLS Preview Content You Need For Opening Day
1. On FloFC, Captain Streff recaps Atlanta's impressive win the Concacaf Champions League, and what it means for their matchup vs D.C. United on Sunday.
2. Also on FloFC: The D.C. United midfield goes through one very, very good Argentine: Lucho Acosta.
3. The only Designated Player + MLS + LA Galaxy Twitter thread you'll ever need to read:
Spent about four hours on the phone yesterday afternoon/evening talking through this Gio thing with different people around the league. It was a doozy of a day. Gonna thread this out...— Paul Tenorio (@PaulTenorio) March 1, 2019
4. From SI.com: Top 24 Storylines, Questions, & Names to Watch Entering MLS's 24th Season. To be clear, that's 24 total things, not 24 in each category. Just in case that wasn't clear.
5. One last from FloFC, looking at one crucial player on each Eastern Conference team. West will be tomorrow.
D.C. United Video: Akeem Ward Locks Himself Out
6. The latest from FloFC's video offering follows Akeem Ward around the day of the team's preseason matchup with the Tampa Bay Rowdies. Akeem is a good kid!
7. The smart folks at American Soccer Analysis have done a lot of MLS previewing with a generous amount of graphs and charts.
To Italy We Go: I'm VAR-Y Disappointed
7. To be honest, I can't get enough of VAR and VAR scandals. I find them quite entertaining. Here's Adam Digby's latest "10 Things In Italy" column.
8. Via Di Marzio: Roma-Lazio is going to be a testy one tomorrow in Italy's capital. FloFC will have preview content for the game tomorrow as well.
That's all, folks. Enjoy the endless day of soccer (or futbol, or calcio, or football) tomorrow.